In 2024, explore top POS systems for smooth transactions and efficient operations. Evaluate how Clover’s POS system compares to competitors in the restaurant industry.
Why Consumers Switch From Clover
Consumers often think about switching from Clover to its competitors because of problems with customer service and monthly fees. Clover POS system for different businesses, but it receives criticism for its customer service and fees. This has prompted restaurant owners to look into alternatives like Milagro. Understanding what Clover’s competitors offer can help in making an informed decision about switching POS systems.
Common Reasons Users Switch Away from Clover
Common issues cited by Clover users on third-party review sites should be considered by consumers looking for Clover alternatives.
Monthly fees can be costly
Many find that the monthly fees can be a hassle. Reginna, a former Clover user, shares her thoughts in a GetApp review, “Having to pay a monthly fee is what made me quit using it altogether. I’d rather just pay a fee per card than paying to use it per month.”
Another user on Capterra also mentions, “You do not get a choice in your credit card processor. For us, we happen to already use this processor and have a great deal set up with them, but others will likely end up paying more than expected when they get their credit card processing bill. There are several charges for having this type of system that they neglect to tell you about, so it ends up much more expensive than you expect.”
Limited transaction capabilities
Clover user Sarah points out in her review on G2 that the transaction capabilities are not the best for busy areas like bars., “Not user-friendly for bars or making tabs. It is great for one-time transactions, single use.”
Lack of certain functions like ordering and clocking out
Reviewers appear to be dissatisfied with Clover’s ordering accessibility. A G2 review from a user in the food and beverage industry mentions, “I dislike the fact that if you have an open order on the system, it does not allow you to clock out. If a customer says they want three items and you add three to the transaction, but they change their mind and only want one, you cannot delete an item without a manager code and you cannot clock out until this order is deleted.”
These reviews show that Clover lacks support and functionality in crucial areas that impact restaurant and bar efficiency. Other POS systems, luckily, outperform in these specific areas. Clover’s top alternative, Milagro, is a restaurant-focused platform that is adaptable to all your needs — including transparent pricing, comprehensive reporting, and more.
Essential Criteria for Evaluating a Clover Alternative
When evaluating alternatives to Clover POS, business owners should consider pricing structures, customer reviews, scalability, flexibility, system integration, and features to avoid paying for unnecessary services. These are the key criteria for evaluating alternatives.
- Essential POS Features:
- Secure Payment Processing: Ensure customer data protection with robust security.
- Multichannel Payment: Accept various payment methods to increase sales.
- Data Analytics: Use detailed reports to optimize business operations.
- User-Friendly: Choose an easy-to-use system for efficiency.
- POS Hardware:
- Touchscreen Monitors: Simplify order entry and payment processes.
- Flexible Terminals: Stay current with EMV, eWallets, and contactless payments.
- Accessories: Ensure receipt printers, cash drawers, and scanners are included.
- Digital Scale: If selling by weight, confirm compatibility with your scale.
- Cost-Effective Services: Select a POS that aligns with your budget and usage.
- Transaction Fees: Be aware of varying fees, like Clover’s 2.3% + $0.10 or Stripe’s 2.9% + $0.30 for online transactions.
- Compare Providers: Assess plans and costs to find the best fit.
- Customer Support:
- Reliable Support: Choose a POS with 24/7 customer service to prevent revenue loss from system issues.
- Check Reviews: Research experiences of similar businesses with the POS.
- System Integration:
- Compatibility: Ensure the POS integrates with other software and eCommerce platforms like WordPress or Shopify.
Remember, the right POS system should meet your specific business needs and help streamline operations.
The Top 5 Clover Alternatives
Milagro POS: All-in-One Restaurant Operation System
Similar to TouchBistro, Milagro is designed specifically for restaurants. Milagro is an all-in-one system designed to help restaurant owners streamline their daily operations. You will have everything you need to accept payments, personalized marketing, manage employees, and offer gift cards and loyalty programs.
Milagro POS Advantages:
- Multiple Order Options: Offers various devices and apps for ordering and payment.
- Restaurant-Focused: Durable hardware and software tailored for restaurant needs.
- Add-Ons Available: Features additional apps for scheduling, delivery, loyalty programs, CDP, and more.
- Free Version: Suitable for all restaurant types and all sizes.
- Cost: Paid plans are competitive.
Considerations for Milagro POS:
Durable and Spill-Proof Restaurant-Grade Hardware:
- Explore hardware designed for restaurants, spill-proof rated, and exceptionally durable, ensuring longevity and reliability in your establishment.
Swift Service with Efficient Order and Payment Processing:
- Optimize your service speed with quick order and payment processing, enhancing the efficiency of your restaurant operations for a seamless dining experience.
Anywhere, Anytime Cloud-Based Access:
- Empower restaurant owners and managers with cloud-based access to data, allowing them to stay connected and manage operations from anywhere, anytime. and on any device.
User-Friendly Software Setup and Learning:
- Simplify your operations with software that is easy to set up and straightforward to learn, ensuring a smooth integration into your restaurant management system.
Open Integrations with Leading Industry Partners:
- Foster collaboration and connectivity with open integrations, providing seamless compatibility with industry-leading partners for a comprehensive and interconnected restaurant ecosystem.
Transparent Pricing and Competitive Transaction Rates:
- Enjoy transparent pricing options with competitive rates on all transactions, providing cost-effective solutions for your restaurant’s financial management.
No Hidden Fees:
- Trust in a transparent financial system with no hidden fees or extra markups, ensuring clarity and predictability in your restaurant’s financial transactions.
Single Point of Contact for Payment and POS:
- Simplify your management with a single point of contact for both payment and point-of-sale systems, streamlining communication and support for enhanced operational efficiency.
Additional Milagro Features
Simplified Milagro POS Features:
- Tableside Service: Portable devices for improved guest interaction and faster service.
- Order Notifications: Instant alerts to servers for ready orders.
- Tableside Payments: Accept various card payments directly at the table.
- Guest Feedback: Immediate collection and response to customer feedback.
- Analytics & Reporting: Cloud-based access to detailed business reports.
- Menu Management: Real-time menu updates and item availability from any device.
- Unified Menu: In-house and online menu synchronization.
Square POS System
Square POS is widely used by small- and mid-sized businesses and can function as both a POS and payment processing system with minimal monthly fees. It is particularly popular for on-the-go operations and is commonly used at pop-up fairs or by local vendors for non-cash transactions. Now, let’s examine the pros and cons of using Square as an alternative to Clover.
Square Online Advantages:
- Integrates with Square POS for unified order management.
- Easy-to-use online store templates.
- Automatic integration of Square features like inventory and loyalty programs.
- Free version available with essential features.
- Customizable software packages with invoicing, loyalty, and scheduling.
- Limited integrations with major eCommerce marketplaces.
- Not ideal for high-volume B2B sales.
- Restricted payment processing options on the free plan.
Stripe POS System
Stripe POS Advantages:
- Offers support for over 135 currencies and diverse payment methods.
- Ideal for online sales with eCommerce-focused features.
- Customizable checkout for those with coding skills.
- Competitive flat-rate fees with no hidden charges.
- Quick online setup and suitable for international use.
- Offers multiple integration options.
Stripe POS Limitations:
- Requires coding knowledge to maximize use.
- Limited hardware for in-person payments.
- Potential account stability issues with risk assessment.
TouchBistro is a comprehensive POS system designed specifically for restaurants, created by people who have experience in the restaurant industry. The system operates on Apple iPads and can be adjusted to fit the size of your restaurant. TouchBistro POS emphasizes customer engagement and restaurant operations. Unlike other POS providers that serve multiple industries, TouchBistro is specifically tailored to food and beverage service.
TouchBistro POS Advantages:
- Tailored for the restaurant industry with features like floor plan management.
- Flexible for various food-service businesses, including food trucks.
- Scalable with options to add services and hardware as needed.
- User-friendly, customizable, and offers 24/7 support.
TouchBistro POS Limitations:
- Requires third-party integrations for some management tasks.
- No trial period to test the system.
- Fund deposit times vary based on bank affiliation.
- Contractual commitment is required without a trial option.
- Mainly beneficial for food and beverage services, not other industries.
For over a decade, Lightspeed has been a good POS solution, serving the restaurant industry. This is because their POS system is specifically designed for retail, restaurant, and golf-related business sales. Lightspeed’s most impressive feature is its detailed inventory management system, which is ideal for medium to large-scale businesses with complex inventories. You can manage large quantities of stock at a detailed level while keeping track of your incoming goods. Additionally, you can create multiple product variables and bundles to expand your offerings.
Lightspeed POS Advantages:
- Cloud-based, runs on any internet device.
- Mobile app and card reader for on-the-go payments.
- Customizable inventory management for multiple locations.
- Access to various applications for business operations.
- Over 50 preset reports with customization options.
- Integrated eCommerce platform.
- Option to choose your payment processor.
Lightspeed POS Limitations:
- Pricing can be high for small to mid-sized businesses.
- Additional monthly fees per location and for third-party payment processors.
- Advanced features increase the cost.
- An annual contract is required for lower pricing.
- The user interface has a learning curve.
How to Switch from Clover
Switching from Clover requires careful consideration of your restaurant’s specific needs and budget. Explore the top restaurant POS options, and consider Milagro for its potential to enhance sales, improve team productivity, and accelerate business growth. Make a well-informed decision to ensure a seamless transition to a POS system that aligns perfectly with your restaurant’s requirements.